This article describes in detail the algorithm of actions of football fans going to see alive matches of the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia.
First of all, you should buy tickets which are also available on the FIFA website. Tickets are sold in three stages. The first stage was in September - November, 2017 (before the final tournament drawing). The second stage is taking place at present (December 5, 2017 to April 3, 2018) after allotment of teams onto groups became known. At the last, third stage, remained unsold tickets will be realized (from April 18 to the match).
In case of successful purchase of tickets, the necessary sum will be written off from your card, and you will get an official e-confirmation from FIFA. Tickets will be delivered by courier service approximately in the late May.
Important! You should buy tickets only on the FIFA official site. Don't use dealer services or intermediary companies. The matter is that tickets for the World Cup can be sold only upon the passport presentation, and they are registered tickets. An attempted enter the stadium under a ticket for another name entails serious risks – the stadium staff can refuse your entry to watch the match.
Entry into Russia, FAN ID
After you have got an e-confirmation from FIFA about successful purchase of tickets, and after a necessary sum has been written off your card, you should receive FAN ID.
FAN ID (fan passport) is the document granting the right to visit matches of the FIFA World Cup in Russia. To receive FAN ID you need fill in the questionnaire on www.fan-id.ru. You will be required to key the ticket booking number, your passport data, sex, date of birth, and also to attach your ID card scan. The questionnaire will be checked within a few days, then an e-confirmation of the fan passport issue will come to your e-mail and mobile. FAN ID can be received in one of the FAN ID centers or at the airports of the cities hosting the World Cup.
Important! Fan passports issued for the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup are invalid for the World Cup. To visit the World Cup matches, fans should register FAN ID over again.
Russia has the world lead in its territory in four climatic zones. The country is steeped in history and has the great architectural heritage, at the same time, each region has its unique features.
The World Cup will take place in 11 cities, and we have prepared for you a short review for each of them.
- Moscow is the capital of Russia, the largest city in Europe. Moscow will become the main town of the World Cup where the tournament opening ceremony and the final match will take place.
- St. Petersburg is the northernmost multi-million-strong city entering the 5 top of the most beautiful cities of the world, the former capital of the Russian Empire.
- Sochi is the main sea health resort of Russia located in subtropics. Sochi hosted the 2014 Winter Olympic Games.
- Kazan is the capital of Tatarstan and the unique city where two religions, Islam and Orthodoxy, go together harmoniously. In 2013 Kazan hosted the Summer Universiade.
- Kaliningrad is the westernmost outpost of Russia, the former German city of Konigsberg.
- Nizhny Novgorod is a large city located 400 kilometers from Moscow in the most beautiful place of confluence of two rivers, the Volga and the Oka. The city bears its age well, and has its rich history.
- Saransk is the smallest and coziest city of host cities of the World Cup. It is located in the central part of the country.
- Samara is a large industrial center on the Volga River.
- Yekaterinburg is the easternmost city hosting the World Cup. The city is considered the informal capital of the Urals.
- Volgograd is another large city located on the bank of the Volga River. Volgograd is the place where the legendary Battle of Stalingrad took place and turned the course of World War II.
- Rostov-on-Don is another big southern city with the developed resort infrastructure.
As far as possible, come to Russia in advance, and you will see that the beauty and sights of the country aren’t limited to these 11 cities.
All host cities of the World Cup have the developed tourist infrastructure. Besides, specially to the World Cup new hotels and hostels are put into operation in all cities. Also, in each city you will find hundreds of apartments available for daily rent.
However, please note that maximum prices in hotels are limited by law, but apartment rent is absolutely market pricing. Therefore, we advise you to pay attention to hotels when choosing accommodation in Russia.
You will find accommodation options in more detail for each city in special articles on our website:
- Moscow Hotels
- St. Petersburg Hotels
- Sochi Hotels
- Kazan Hotels
- Saransk Hotels
- Samara Hotels
- Yekaterinburg Hotels
- Rostov-on-Don Hotels
- Nizhny Novgorod Hotels
- Kaliningrad Hotels
- Volgograd Hotels
The Russian Railways has given an excellent present to guests of the World Cup. All holders of tickets for the tournament matches can travel to the city of the match by train free of charge. Over 500 additional trains will be involved for these purposes.
To receive a free ticket, you need to sign up at transport2018.com and also to have FAN ID on you, as well as to submit the ticket booking number.
However, travelling by train between the tournament host cities have a disadvantage: distances between some cities can exceed 2,000 kilometers, at the same time, the average speed of passenger transport in Russia seldom exceeds 60 km/h. Thus, one way travel can exceed 40 hours.
But for some directions train (especially because it is free!) will become an optimum type of transport. For example, a train from Moscow reaches Nizhny Novgorod in 4.5 hours, and a train from Moscow arrives in St. Petersburg in less than 12 hours. For other directions, nevertheless, we recommend to use air transport.
Emergency medical service in Russia is free for citizens of all states. Emergency service telephone: 112.
Despite the complicated terrorist situation in the world, and in Russia in particular, the World Cup shall take place in quiet and relaxed atmosphere. Russia has wide experience of holding large tournaments (the Universiade, the Olympic Games, the Confederations Cup), each of which was carried out ideally through a security perspective.
Street crime in Russia cab be worried. Therefore, we recommend you to refrain from night-time walks in distal areas of the cities and to call a taxi.
Mobile network and Internet
In Russia all large cities have stable signal reception of four largest mobile operators – Megafon, MTS, Beeline and TELE2. The cellular communication and mobile Internet prices are the lowest in the world, and quality of services is excellent. You will find more about telecom operators and the mobile Internet in the special article.